Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Right to Sheet Music, or the Trading Game

I should probably be getting some much-needed sleep right now, but instead I got sucked into a fascinating new blog post from Jason Robert Brown's website about the online practice of "trading" sheet music, which can be found here. Through his correspondences with a particular girl who was offering his music up for trade, JRB argues artists' rights to be paid for their work. I weighed in with my own opinion and JRB's wife, composer Georgia Stitt, also lends her own take on the matter. It opens up a fascinating discussion, one that is both puzzling and necessary. A lot of the questions it raises aren't anything that the music industry hasn't been thinking about for years, but I definitely find this all a fascinating read and worthy subject of discourse.

No comments: